Watercolor Journaling Workshop at the Open Center, New York City

I had the opportunity to teach a 1-1/2 day workshop at the New York Open Center in mid-town Manhattan recently - July 19 and 20th to be exact and it was a very rewarding experience. 25 people attended the workshop that started Friday evening and went all day Saturday. As it was in the middle of a pretty good heat wave in the City, no one was interested in sketching outdoors so I had to be pretty creative inside the building, finding interesting things to journal about. My students brought things from home and I picked up fruits and veggies from one of New York's excellent outdoor markets on Saturday morning. I had them scour the building for things of interest - from the cafe and gift shop on the ground floor to some of the plants, wall hangings and art, furniture and statuary within the building. It was a lot of fun, I met so many wonderful people - all different ages and backgrounds - from all parts of the New York metropolitan area, and I believe everyone had a good time. Thanks Open Center and all who attended!

Here's my photo essay from the weekend's activities:

Friday evening introductions 
Talking about Watercolor Journaling and showing my journals
A/C had problems Friday evening so we moved to another room.

Drawing Exercises Friday evening
Sketching their watercolor kits







Sharing what they wrote 
Fun with Watercolor



Saturday sketching in the hallways




Mixing Grays 






Journaling in the Gift Shop

Journaling in the Cafe 
Collections of their journal pages, in no particular order, above and below







Comments

Popular Posts