Return to Barcelona 2017! More of La Merce Festival


The Festival of La Merce took place over the course of a weekend, and I traveled all over the city to enjoy the festivities! Museums were open and free so I took advantage of that to visit the Maritime Museum with full size ships inside and plenty of room to spare! The Museu Marítim (Maritime Museum) is one of the most interesting sights in Barcelona. Housed in the former shipyards of Drassane, it is located on the southern edge of the old town and at the end of the Rambla, and has an extensive collection of ships and boats and a large exhibition on the construction of medieval sailing ships. I was too overwhelmed to sketch and of course I'm sorry now that I did not, but here are some of the photos I took that day.

Afterwards, I wandered around the city where so many interesting things were going and the streets were so very crowded there was literally no room to take out my sketchbook until I found the Basilica Mare de Dei de la Merce, the saint for whom this festival is named. A service was going on in the church but the square was quiet and relatively empty. I sat on the ledge of the fountain and did this sketch, enjoying this quiet moment, trying to capture the scene.








The Independence rallies went on all weekend as well.  

You get an idea of the crowded streets from this photo!


Basilica Mare de Deu de la Merce square during services

Covered walkway in Barcelona


Placa S. Jaume crowds waiting for the entertainment to begin

Modern Scultpure contrasts with the old city

Another covered street with barrel vaults

Comments

Popular Posts