Return to Barcelona 2017. Medieval Villages Tour


Another tour I took was of three Medieval Villages in Catalunya, not far from Barcelona but only reachable by tour bus or car. Since I didn't have a car, I opted to join a tour that would stop at these 3 charming villages with lunch included and enjoyed this way of travel for a change.

I fell in love with Besalu immediately! The bridge and tower leading into the city, charming cafes, restaurants and shops and the old stones of this medieval city won my heart! I sat and sketched a scene that caught my eye and before I knew it, it was time to return to the bus! Sometimes those sketches are the best since you are just reacting to what lies before you with no time to second guess! At the time it felt unfinished but in looking at it later, I rather like the look of it. 

Following Besalu we continued on to Rupit where we all gathered for lunch. Rupit was also charming with red geranium spilling out of window boxes and the signage and details so fitting for a town born in the Middle Ages. 

The last stop on our tour was the town of Tavertet. My least favorite - it has been almost completely restored and just felt too good to be true! I cannot explain the sensation of a place that does not seem real - second homes for wealthy Catalonians who escape the summer heat in the city I guess to this idyllic retreat. It is beautiful! Don't get me wrong. But sometimes things can appear almost too perfect as to not feel true! It's hard to explain and maybe the lack of people in the streets added to my discomfort. 

At any rate, I had a great day and enjoyed it immensely! Here's my photo essay. I think it's easy to tell which town is which in the way I have broken it up. Enjoy! (click on the photo if it seems chopped off)



















Comments

Popular Posts