Urban Sketching Barcelona. Day 4 and 5: Barcelona with Helena

With Helena in Barcelona


October 8 and 9, 2016

On my 4th Day in Barcelona, I was expecting my young friend Helena, from Switzerland.  We had met in Perugia at the Language School when she had just graduated from high school and I was in my 50s. Despite our age difference we became fast friends and have kept in touch these past 10+ years, first by letter, then Facebook. It was heartwarming to see her again and catch up in person on all the things that have transpired in our lives since last we were together. We cried together at the loss of Bob but mostly it was a great visit. My apartment had a second bedroom so she stayed with me and since she was only there for the weekend, we decided one of those Hop on - Hop off- tour buses would be the best way for her (and me!) to see the city. We got the 2-day pass, since there were two routes you could choose and that way we could see everything from the comfort of a big open air bus complete with narration. One of the places we "hopped off" was the Sagrada Familia - Gaudí's spectacular church that is still being worked on and was his life's work until he died. I carelessly left my cell phone in my apartment (or I thought I did) so I didn't take any photos on Oct 8 (turned out I had it all along, don't know how I missed it!). 

On my 5th day, the 9th of October, the second tour took us away from the city center and to be honest was a bit boring. For some unexplained reason they were not allowed to go their normal route, they told us, but not why. We had fun anyway, enjoying just being together. These are a few of the things we saw, that were worthy of a photograph, but the sky was not blue and it hard to get a good shot from a moving bus!!Access the links below for more information and better photos!

Torre Agbar, a 38-story skyscraper, at the entrance to Barcelona's technological district

The National Theatre of Catalunya

Museo Blau, a natural science museum

The Plaza de Toros Monumental, was the only Art Nuveau Bullring, it now houses a small museum

Helena outside the Sagrada Familia

Another view of La Sagrada Familia

Comments

Popular Posts