My Further Artistic Journey

Thought I'd write a few words about how things are going. The week after the first class with Marcia was a busy one. I only managed to do the one small painting that week. Then we were in Richmond for the past weekend helping our son move into his first house. Exciting! The assignment consisted of using a photograph provided by Marcia and also doing a painting where we chose our own subject matter. She gave us a small canvas and said we could use it for either the photograph she provided or the other. I decided to use the small canvas for her image and bought full sheets of watercolor paper and a long horizontal canvas that looked like fun. By that time I knew what I wanted to paint but hadn't yet decided whether I wanted to work in watercolor or acrylic. The size of the canvas helped me decide. The image I wanted to work on was a shot of a steel mill on the Canadian side of the Sault Ste. Marie canal we visited last year. I had previously done a small study in watercolor with the intention of making a larger painting, never actually haven gotten to doing that.

The next class is tomorrow night. Two weeks have passed since the first class. Yesterday was do or die day. I had to do it. I decided to use the long horizontal and to paint in acrylic. Listening and singing along to my favorite Sting albums, I allowed myself to get lost in the painting. Something about the music and the singing - maybe my left brain was preoccupied with that, which allowed my right brain to go to work. I don't know. Maybe it was the pressure of the deadline that made it happen. But I painted my heart out. I'm happy with how it turned out and excited to share it tomorrow with Marcia and the other 4 members of the class. Not sure where this is leading, but I'm ready to go!

Ciao,
R.

Comments

Popular Posts