Plein Air Painting Workshop - Day 2

Yesterday was Day 2 of the two-day Rehoboth Art League's Plein Air Painting workshop with Denise Dumont along Surf Avenue in Rehoboth Beach. A great group of painters gathered and painted together with Denise's expert one-on-one instruction in this beautiful beach area, about 30 minutes from our home in Milford. At the beginning of the day Denise demonstrated again, showing us how she first uses her view finder to select the subject for her painting, then does a thumbnail value sketch (of utmost importance!!!) to set up your composition and values and then blocks in and paints. Her finished paintings are amazing - so loose, strong compsition and color.

Our finished paintings were displayed and critiqued at the end of the day yesterday back at the Art League and there were some amazing paintings on the wall! I can see that I need to keep practicing to come up to the level of such fine painters as Lesley McCaskill and Marcy Wheeler, just to name a few! It was a humbling experience.

My paintings are small - 8" x 6" -- I didn't want to bite off more than I could chew! I know I need to work on my color mixing and get some larger canvases. Soon, I hope. I'm working my way there.

Beach Study #1


Beach Study #2


Beach Study #3


Me, working intently! Taken by fellow painter, Jean Bowers


Denise demonstrating her thumbnail value study


Blocking in Shapes


Blocking in Colors

Comments

Popular Posts