Orchid Extravaganza at Longwood Gardens

My daughter and I spent a lovely day in February at Longwood Gardens in Kennet Square, PA attending what is billed as their "Orchid Extravaganza" and indeed it is! Some of the most extraordinary orchids I have ever seen grace the rooms of the Conservatory in such creative displays, I am always excited to visit and see what the clever master gardeners have come up with for us to enjoy every year! This year was no exception. I admit to being disappointed when I first walked in to the main entrance hall as I did not see that many orchids in this particular room. But as we proceeded from room to room, it was evident they had many surprises in store for us! My favorite of all was the Silver Garden - mostly desert plants and trees, in that delicious silver gray color. Hanging from the ceiling were colorful orchids in pinks, reds and purples - air plants that did not need pots and with their roots hanging down from the brightly colors flowers, they stood out among the soft green foliage and the effect was simply breathtaking!

Among the orchids, the whites are always my favorites and I always take too many photos! I've included a few here. If you have an opportunity to visit Longwood during the Orchid show next year, don't hesitate. It will truly take your breath away!

I think the photos are self-explanatory so I have not included any captions. Enjoy!




















Comments

Popular Posts