Go to our Website!

Sunday, July 6, 2008

St. Peter's Art Show 5 July 2008, Lewes Delaware

Yesterday was the big show at St. Peter's Episcopal Church in historic downtown Lewes, Delaware. Worried about the weather I didn't sleep much the night before but thankfully the rain did not come. It was overcast and cooler than it was last week and for that we were grateful. Since it was not a great day to hang out at the beach, there was a pretty steady crowd all day. The volunteers from St. Peter's were wonderful, so friendly & helpful -- they showed up when we were unloading the car to help and then came around with a complimentary selection of coffee, muffins and juice. They have been doing this for 42 years at St. Peter's and they really seem to have it down. They offered credit card service for artists who didn't have their own which made it possible for us to sell more than we perhaps would have been able to do without it. We're learning as we go.

We sold more yesterday than we have at each of the other shows so that was great. The morning went by without a single sale and I was starting to get really worried. It was a pretty good sized crowd building but not too many seemed interested in our work. But then after lunch it really picked up and was pretty lively for us the rest of the day. We certainly didn't sell out or anything but it was definitely worth it. One couple who bought an original watercolor even came back later to buy a framed print so that was fun. Bob's cards were popular and even some of my botanical prints and cards sold.

We saw many of our artist friends again and it was fun chatting with them too. We were especially delighted that Bob's sister Theresa and her husband Mike came all the way down from Princeton, New Jersey (a three-hour drive) to support us. The weather cooperated all the way through and we took our time taking down the tent and packing up, enjoying a nice seafood dinner at Fish On! (eating up some of the profits?) in Lewes before heading home. Their grilled tun with steamed bok choy, orange soy glaze and sticky jasmine rice was well cooked, beautifully presented and delicious and the doughy bread they brought to the table was yummy and a good barometer of what was to come.

So that's it for the time being. In two weeks my sister and her girls will be here for about 10 days and we're looking forward to showing them around and having fun together. No more outdoor shows for us for a while. We'll keep you posted. Delaware by Hand has one end of September we'd like to participate in so we'll see. In between, there is a new show up at the Mispillion Art League gallery called "Waterworks" and we have some work there at 127 N.W. Front Street, downtown Milford. Rehoboth Art League's member show will open with a reception on July 18 (we'll be picking my sister up at the airport so will not be able to attend) and my work is on permanent exhibition at Angelucci's.

Here are a few shots from the day. I took these in the early part of the day before the crowds got even heavier and we were too busy to take photos.

Our booth. I had more originals on display and some prints I had not shown before.

Looking towards the Fine Crafts section. On the right is the booth of Carmela Coleman, a potter whose work I admire. I have one of her little berry pots that I love. She is a member of Delaware By Hand, another group we plan to join.

Shoppers and Onlookers on Market Street. It was even more crowded than this later on.

Thanks for checking in with us! Enjoy your Sunday.

No comments: