Pen and Ink with Watercolor Workshop at Rehoboth Art League: Plants and Flowers


Classroom is set up and ready for students to arrive!
End of Class Group Photo - Happy Students showing their Favorite work of the day!

The second of my two workshops at Rehoboth Art League was held on Saturday, February 25, 2017. This one focused on drawing plants and flowers and, after a morning of drawing and painting exercises they were ready to jump in and capture the essence of the the ones I brought for them to observe. I love these classes! I say this every time, but I am always amazed at what they can accomplish with just a few simple exercises that prove to them they can do it and best of all, that they don't have to be perfect! 

The most important thing you can bring to any class is the desire to do it and it is no different in an art class! I must admit there are some people naturally inclined with some innate, natural born talent, but the truth is not many of my students (if any!) have the goal of becoming the next Picasso and all they want to do is have fun sketching the world around them and making art. 

It can be frustrating to a beginner who never learned how to hold a brush, load it with paint and mix colors so it's good to take workshops like this. I try to impart whatever knowledge I have gained through my years of study and practice. The smiles on their faces and the pride in their work is the greatest reward I am given at the end of a workshop.

Here's my Photo Essay of our Day, with captions as needed. They tried drawing first and then adding watercolor and then, painting first and adding inked lines later. Two ways of doing it and there were probably as many students that preferred one way over the other, but all seemed to enjoy the process!

If an image seems cut off, click on it to view the full photo. 

For a complete list of upcoming workshops, go to my website by clicking here.

Painted first, then added line work



Drawn first, then added watercolor

(same as above, earlier in the process) Drawn first, then adding watercolor to the drawing





Painting first, she added her inked lines later

Watercolor of Pink and Green plant

Working on journals, quietly focused! 







Bottom, sketched with paintbrush,  top drawing the plant first.


So graphic! I believe she draw first and then added watercolor, but can you tell?




Walking around the room, admiring each other's work!


  
Upside-down Drawing from "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" by Betty Edwards

Wet on Wet and Wet on Dry exercises with watercolors




Comments

Popular Posts