My Studio - Moving in!

The sign on my door - Visitors Welcome!


This week has marked the culmination of about a year's worth of planning and building and hoping and dreaming. When the Art League moved into the former Humes Hardware Building on N. Walnut Street in December last year we all celebrated. Scott and Gail Angelucci had been talking for some time about exanding Angelucci Artists Gallery with working artists' studios on the second floor, a place where artists could work individually but also interact with each other, sharing thoughts, ideas, inspiring and encouraging each other. A place where visitors could stop by, watch the artists at work, and buy art directly from the artists. Sort of a mini Torpedo Factory.

Riverwalk Center for the Arts - studios are upstairs


They approached Bob and I with this idea and offered us one of the studios. The rent was affordable, the idea of working right downtown, in a space where I could be messy and explore my art further, maybe take it to a whole other level was extremely appealing to say the least. I mean, don't get me wrong. I've got a pretty nice little studio space here in our condo, but I feel restricted and not able to throw paint with abandon. I want to work larger, to try other media - like oils and pastels maybe, to set up still lifes and explore new things. Plus this computer is a huge distraction - it is NOT coming to the studio! And, I feel like this opportunity was put in front of me at this time and I need to grab it. A page is turning to a whole new chapter of my life and I am once again putting one foot in front of the other and seeing where it takes me. Trusting that it will be good. I am VERY excited.

The move has begun!


So anyway, this is more of a gradual move in. Bob's been building me shelves and is working on a big work table (my old drawing table will suffice for the time being), he has put up a lighting system to highlight the paintings (and his photographs too) I'll be hanging. There will eventually (November? December?) be a Grand Opening and I'll keep you posted on that. Scott still has lots of finishing touches to make but it's going to be incredible! We're all so excited, the energy in downtown Milford is palpable.

When we were planning our trip to Italy I had this quote in front of me every day. It is fitting again:
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” (Mark Twain)

Little Green Cabinet moves to the studio!


Bob putting together my drawing table


A peak inside


The hallway - The front half of the white wall on the left is mine


The window wall faces N. Walnut Street

Comments

Melissa Keith said…
Your studio looks fabulous! What a great new adventure!

I still have a desire to learn to draw and paint lingering in the background. I'm really wishing that I had brought the drawing book that I had just begun working on with me on this trip. It would be really great to have on a rainy day like today. I was working on a "right brain" type drawing book and was really amazed with the progress possible with it. I may check out the net for some similar lessons.

Congrats on your (and Bob's) new studio!
Rosemary said…
Melissa,
Thanks! I'm pretty excited about getting in there and getting started!

I bet you could find a gorgeous handmade journal in shops in some of these wonderful cities you are living in/visiting!

I love the "right brain" book too and use portions of it with my classes.

Popular Posts