Milwaukee / Chicago Trip - April 2016








Milwaukee, Wisconsin

April saw me getting on a plane headed for Milwaukee and a visit to my daughter Jessica. One of my favorite things to do while she is busy working, is to go to the Milwaukee Art Museum. The architecture alone is worth the visit designed by the famed architect Santiago Calatrava. Here's a link to their website where they describe the architecture and the museum. I'll just provide you with a few photos to whet your appetite! Next door to MAM is the War Memorial Center, designed by Eero Saarinen and I made a brief stop there too.

The bronze Firefighter was found sitting on a bench in Milwaukee's Historic Third Ward as I window shopped and enjoyed lunch in one of the many downtown restaurants.


Chicago, Illinois

It's only a short train ride away to visit Chicago from Milwaukee and I spent the weekend with my sister- and brother-in-law at their amazing apartment with a bird's eye view of the city.

I spent a day at the Art Institute to see a small but special exhibition of Van Gogh's bedroom paintings. He painted three of them, each a little different. It's a treat to see his work in person but unfortunately this show closed in May.

Together we visited the Field Museum of Natural History to see the Terra Cotta Warriors on exhibit till January 2017. Bob and I had seen it in D.C. a few years ago but it was still impressive to see them again.

I've included a few of my sketches from this trip at the end here from my visit to the Milwaukee Art Museum, including Dale Chihuly's glass, Deborah Butterfield's horse and Albert Zahn's delightful folk art.

Click on the photos for the whole image.






















Comments

Popular Posts