Watercolor Journaling Workshop at Delaware Art Museum


Last Saturday, September 28, 2013, I led a workshop at Delaware Art Museum in Wilmington, Delaware. They had such a good response to the workshop I did there this spring that they asked me to return in the fall! I love teaching there because of several things: 1- they have a very nice classroom space to teach in, 2- there is a lovely sculpture garden with trees, flowers and other interesting features to journal about and 3- the opportunity for my students to journal inside the museum - a real treat!

This was a one day workshop and I took these photos during the course of the day, that will serve as a "Photo Essay" for the exercises and experiences my student journalers enjoyed.

Sketching their watercolor kits is a good way to learn the colors and begin working with the medium 
Adding watercolor to their journal sketches

Sketching on the Chihuly Bridge - "Persian Window" by glass artist Dale Chihuly

Sketching "RIOT" by Debra Butterfield

The Delaware Art Museum and sculpture garden

Assorted journal pages from the day's workshop

Line drawing sketches of "RIOT" and composition studies of paintings in the gallery

Carefully observing and sketching Chihuly

Looking up to where my students were sketching - the Chihuly Bridge is on the 2nd floor

Adding watercolor to their Chihuly sketches

Sketch of watercolor kit with colors added and named

More Chihuly sketching 
Writing about the day's experiences - an important part of Watercolor Journaling!

Comments

Popular Posts