Haiku?

Years ago I wrote a bit of poetry. I've been recently thinking of the beautiful Japanese from of Haiku and trying my hand at it. I'd like to try to write one a day and see if I can do it. So here goes. Let me know what you think and if I should not quit my day job. I'm working on trying to get a good contrast without being too obvious (I think at this point, it is and I need to work harder) But it's a start and I'm having fun with it. A fellow artist I know (Lee Wayne Mills) creates haikus (is that the correct plural form?) and then a an abstract painting based on the poem. A wonderful idea I think.

I need to research this further because I'm reading something about a thing called "morae" which may or may not be the same as our English syllable. In that case, these little poems I've written may or may not be called "haiku" in the traditional sense.

There's also a facebook page. Click here for the link.

Anyway, here are my first feeble attempts!

Haiku Day 1

Morning
bird song and frog croak
awake to greet the sunrise
unaware, the city sleeps

Haiku Day 2

Pink
a pink horizon
spreads itself across the sky
dark shapes hug the land

Dawn
the sky is crimson
now, dawn lights up the sky
grey herons swoop down

Comments

Popular Posts