Plein Air Paint Out Rehoboth Beach

Thought you might want to see some of the paintings I did during the Plein Air Paint Out in Rehoboth Beach last weekend. The literature for the event said artists would be out "from dawn to dusk" - I can't say that I was there that long each day, but I arrived around 7:30 and quit around 3pm each day. I produced 6 - 9 x 12 watercolors - not all of which do I want to show you! Substrates (canvas, paper etc) were stamped the night before at an artists reception at the Airie Art Gallery and you were required to turn in two finished paintings completely done in the outdoors (no cheating and working on it at home!). Both paintings had to be matted and framed and wired for hanging and an exhibition was held on Sunday morning at the Rehoboth Beach Theatre of the Arts and will eventually be on exhibit at the Rehoboth Art League, when a current show comes down at the end of the month I believe. For information, call the Art League at 302-227-8408.

Yellow Iris (I did this at the end of the second day, couldn't resist)


These are the two I submitted on Sunday for the exhibit:

Porcini House (I loved the colors of this restaurant at Second and Wilmington Avenue)


The Lion on Wilmington Avenue (a wonderful little niche with iris growing and lovely shadows)


I'd love to know what you think.

The artists who took part in this paint out are some of the finest artists in this area. According to the Cape Gazette: "Prizes were presented Sunday, May 9, at the Rehoboth Beach Paint Out Awards and Exhibit reception at the Rehoboth Beach Theatre of the Arts. The awards judge was Ryan Grover, curator of the Biggs Museum of American Art and Delaware by Hand Board member. First place went to Steve Rogers for “The Black Pine.” Lesley McCaskill won second place with “Chairs by Silver Lake,” and third place went to Ray Petersen’s “Pine Tree at Pine Forest.” Honorable mentions were given to Michelle Marshall, “Gordons Pond Around the Bend”; Jim Rehak, “Beach Fence II”; and Michelle Byrne, “Painting by the Blue Moon.”

I was honored and humbled to be included in this exhibit with these amazing artists.

Comments

Popular Posts