Creating a Watercolor Journal - my workshop

On Thursday, October 22 I led a Watercolor Journaling workshop at the Millsboro Art League. There were 11 "student artists" in attendance and I spent some time talking about my experiences, showing examples of my work and some "how to" books (of which there are many!) demonstrating my technique of using pen and ink and letting them try it out in their own journals and sketch books. We spent some time on the main street in town where they sketched the buildings, details and things that interested them. I encouraged them each to include some bit of writing to make the impression complete - the date, time of day, weather, sights and sounds around them and they really got into the process.

I stressed the fact that this was supposed to be fun, that they were not making masterpieces, but capturing moments; that the sketches should be loose and quick, but that by using their pen to help "measure" what they were seeing that they could better capture distances and angles, and that they should try to sketch what they really saw, not what they thought it looked like.

We broke for lunch and then walked down to the park where they continued their journaling and I discussed the mixing of colors, the papers they were using with some of my "beginners" and checked in on everyone's progress, with some of the more experienced among them, off doing their own thing. At the end of the day we met back at the gallery and they shared what they had done and how they felt about it. Everyone enjoyed it and a few of them, looking forward to upcoming trips, said they were ready to try it out on their own! All in all I enjoyed it as much as they did and hope to have the opportunity to do it again!

A big thank you to the Millsboro Art League for having me! Here are a few photos from the day, taken by one of my "student artists" Gerilyn Gaskill. In fact, Geri took 3rd place at our recent Mispillion Art League Member Show!

My quick demonstration of how I use pen and ink with watercolor


Going outside to sketch: Comparing Notes!


Gathering around to get some final pointers


I guess everyone is here now!


After lunch, heading to the park


End of the day: Happy Journalers!

Comments

It was a Wonderful day, Great friends and beautiful weather and learning sometime new.
Rosemary said…
Glad you liked it! Thanks again for the photos!

Popular Posts