The Walk to Cure Diabetes

On Sunday, September 14, 2008 I headed out on a not so bright and sunny day with my sister Suzanne, her daughters Sam and Madison and Sam‘s boyfriend Greyson for the Walk to Cure Diabetes. It was pretty chilly so the girls put sweatshirts on under their Team Shirts - The Power of Three - a name they adopted a few years ago after Suzanne's husband Bruce died of cancer. They started walking with Bruce when Maddie was just a few years old and continue on now without him, finding strength in the power of their love for him and each other. This is the first time I have joined them.

Thanks to everyone who generously donated we exceeded our goal and raised more than $2000!! I don't know yet what the total donations were as I don't believe the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation has posted those numbers. But I promised friends I would post photos of the walk (to prove I actually did walk!) and here they are.

Why we Walk. Our sweet Madison.


Part of the walk was across the river and over abandoned railroad tracks


Me at the Finish Line!


The “Power of Three” plus one - Sam‘s boyfriend Greyson


“We're walkin‘ here!”

Comments

Looks like you all had a fun time. What a great way to share memories and love for your family. I'm sure this will be something the girls will remember for the rest of their lives. Congrats on exceeding your goal!

~Monica

Popular Posts