Almost the top of Mt. Evans & Echo Lake

During my visit to Denver earlier this summer (lest you think the following photos were taken in Delaware, which alas, has no mountains!), my niece Maddie and I took a death-defying drive up the Mount Evans Scenic Byway, the highest paved road in America. It's a 14-mile journey from the entrance station to the summit. We made it up to Summit Lake, a glacial lake and it was still partially frozen in mid-June! The views were spectacular and we were both really glad there weren't many cars on the road because it was pretty narrow and curvy with no major guard rails to keep us from falling off the edge! My heart was in my mouth the higher we climbed but it was absolutely worth every minute of it. Check out this website if you are interested: www.mountevans.com

View of the Top of Mount Evans from Summit Lake


The frozen glacial lake


We stopped the car and photographed these Rocky Mountains goats and it didn't phase them!


Echo Lake on the road up to the top


I couldn't resist this fish mailbox along the road to the top of Mount Evans

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi! I’m the Community Manager of Ruba.com. We’re building a website to highlight some of the most interesting places travelers around the world have discovered. We’ve read hundreds of blogs about Denver and we think that this post is awesome! We’d love to highlight excerpts from your blog (assuming it’s OK with you of course) and to discuss other ways of tapping into your expertise if you are interested. I’m at erin[at]ruba.com.
Thanks! :)

Popular Posts